Thursday, September 1, 2011

Just the Two of Us

I've always heard people make the statement "I don't remember our life before kids".  For some reason, that phrase has always been kind of scary to me.  I don't want the 4 years of marriage we had before Jay to be scrambled in with everything else and for us to forget the sweet memories we made along the way.  Don't get me wrong, our lives have only improved since we were blessed with Jay, but I always want to remember the fun times we had as a young, carefree couple.

Zach and I got married on July 15, 2006.  I had just finished beauty school that April and began my cosmetology career at The Healthy Hair Co. here in Red Bud.  Zach got hired as a butcher at IGA shortly after we got married.  We began our life in a cute little trailer in Knotty Pines.  It had awful blue carpet and ugly wall paper, but I can honestly say that I loved our first home.  It was more than enough room for the two of us and Doug.  My favorite part about it was this wonderful screened in porch it had on the front of it.  Sometimes I miss it!  I will never forget 1428 Peggy Lane, our little corner of Fuzzyland. :)


If you know me at all, you know that I live for vacations!  Some of the fondest memories I have of our first years of marriage are the trips we took.  In July of 2006, the Monday after our wedding, we headed out on our honeymoon to Cancun, Mexico.  It was our first trip as husband and wife.  We were 19 when we got married, so I was kind of scared!  This was Zach's first plane ride and his first time out of the country, so it was neat to experience it with him.  We had caught an awesome deal and stayed at a really nice place...The Crown Paradise Club.  It was the first time either of us had went on an All-Inclusive vacation.  It was simply amazing.  We spent the majority of our time on the beach and eating!  Let me tell you, Zach took full advantage of the free room service.  I can remember being woke up to Mexicans knocking on our door in the middle of the night with cheeseburgers and trays of soda.  He wanted his moneys worth I guess!  I will never forget the night we were out walking along the beach, and we came across a gigantic sea turtle preparing to lay her eggs.  What a neat experience!!  We also had fun snorkeling even though it was a little sketchy.  They basically took you on a boat ride and dropped you off in the open ocean and said have at it!  Supposedly there was a shark swimming around beneath us, but I'm still not sure if I believe that one.  All in all, it was a fabulous first trip as a married couple!


The rest of that year is kind of a blur to me.  The first year of marriage is always a little tough as you're learning new things about each other and taking on all new kinds of responsibilites!   The end of that year
we began our search for a house.

In May of 2007, we headed to Montego Bay, Jamaica.  We were so obsessed with our All-Inclusive vacation the year before that we had to go again and bring family this time!  It was a very last minute trip.  If I remember correctly, it was planned in about a month's time.  My parents and my sister came along.  We did about the same thing...layed on the beach and ate!  We did go horseback riding which was a great experience.  We even got to ride the horses through the water!  I loved it!  It was a fun vacation.  Being with family always makes things more fun and definitely more interesting!


Then, a couple months later, we bought a house!  We became home owners in July of 2007.  I will dedicate an entire post to our house.  It wasn't your average project! ;)

This is going to have to be a two part post.  I don't want to bore you to death!! haha.  I will walk through the next few years of events and some other fun memories pre-baby on another day.  Have any of you gone somewhere you absolutely love?  We are always looking for somewhere new to go.  Now, we are just looking for kid friendly places!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Aww, you definitely don't want to forget those pre-baby memories! Someday we will get to vacation together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking Destin/ Ft Walton beach next year.... Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete